PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Planning software
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2006, 13:25
tony truand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello L-H
Nothing contentious between PPS and Skytrack. To my opinion, PPS is primarily devoted to biz-aviation but works fine for schedule flights airline if correctly customized. Skytrack is to be used 'as is' with some customized features but this product is mainly used by regional/international airlines. Actually we have a fleet of 14 B733QC operated on mixed network (cargo schedule flights and day charter flights) and Skytrack provides quick planning phase for cargo network. Skytrack is linked to our Flight Ops System (Netline from Lido) and daily worksheet (flight list) is auto generated. Specifications for day charter flight are slightly different. Cargo network is easy to plan (RPL's on domestic routes, night flights, no restrictions, etc..). Charter flights require very powerfull planning system. With Skytrack you may be able to plan a flight according to various criterias. You can compare differents routes for the same pairing (point A to B) and choose the best one according to your criteria (Time, Cost, ZFW, etc..). One year working with Skytrack and i must say we have saved a really impressive amount of fuel (€€€!!!). Calculations regarding fuel consumption are very precise. System allows to compute ETOPS flights as, Inflight planning.
Basically you may choose normal planning, DPP planning, cruise setting (fixed mach, cost index, Long range, Max range), actual weather or statistical datas etc.. depending on your ops requirements.
Sometines system is a bit optimist with flights planned near max ceiling at heavy weights. You may check fuel/cost analysis for each flight . Very precise against real costs. Our route catalogue is maitained by our ops engineer department but sometines we have to use graphical tools wich comes with Skytrack named FlightGlobe coordinated with Minimum Time Track module (inside Skytrack). Very easy/friendly to use. Module search best route (based on your criterias) in a very reasonable time. Very fast tool when you have to reroute to avoid restrictions (bloody slots ).
My conclusion is : Skytrack is very interesting/powerfull planning system for regional/long-haul airlines. PPS more biz oriented operations.
L-H : PM me if interested with documentation.
Regards
Tonytruand/LFBZ