PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ETOPS,Ferry Flight, RVSM, MNPS
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2002, 08:09
limey lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
may i suggest routing bfi-yyr-pik-destination. this will follow great circle routing quite nicely and will also allow you to operate close to the blue spruce routing allowing vhf communications all the way. yyr handles delivery flights very well - woodward aviation (sita yyrwacr). i work for northwest, and we have had over 100 airbuses delivered pik-yyr over the years with great success. if you fly bfi-yqx, you may well end up flying far longer than optimal - and any savings you may make on fuel purchases will be lost by higher enroute burn. it obviously depends on the winds, but 95% of the time, great circle routings over greenland will be far more efficient. i work our sea-ams flights on a daily basis, and routings are often north of yfb, but i think that yyr may well be a better option for you. i did a quick sea-yyr flight plan for a dc10 at mach 82, and it was around 4+52 enroute. yyr-pik on optimal routing was 4+10. this was based on winds for march 20th. routing that day was yyr..valie..scrod..56/50..58/40..58/30..57.20..mimku.un562.mac. if you are not hf-equiped, a good routing would be yyr..foxxe..loach..58/50..ozn..61/40..63/30..embla..kef..vm..aldan..ratsu.un610.billy.un610.stn. time enroute on this route was 4+35 - so only 25 minutes longer than optimal. if you flew a similar routing out of yqx, it would be a far longer flight due to distance from vhf routing. for a delivery flight, 2 sectors such as this in one day would be about 9 hours flying time....plenty for one day. you will have no problems on such a routing getting fl410 out of yyr provided you don't fly it during the westbound flow of traffic over the atlantic (and especially if the westbound nat-tracks are northerly, which is the norm.) hope this helps.