PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visiting NZ and Oz
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2006, 09:29
Monty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from a month in NZ with a weekend in Sydney in the middle - holiday of a lifetime type thing.

In Sydney, I wouldn't do the actual walk over the top of the harbour bridge. It's very costly and takes most of the day out. Better to walk the pedestrian path next to the roadway and go up into the little museum located in the Western tower which has viewing platforms 360 degrees. Captain Cook harbour tour was good value. Had a nice lunch at the Waterside restaurant overlooking the bay and an old-fashioned sailing ship.

In NZ, you have got to go 'zorbing' at Rotorua if your family are near there. Mrs Monty and I were loaded into a giant plastic ball, several gallons of warm water were added and we were rolled 100 metres down a slope. It's called 'the wash cycle' and I haven't laughed so much in ages. Internal flights aren't too expensive, so if you can get to Queenstown, do. The Shotover River Jet boat ride was a must - really skilled drivers whizz you inches past the canyon walls and do neat little 360 degree turns. Don't bother with the Lake boat ride - tame by comparison. Wish we'd done the white water rafting. Novotel in Queenstown is position A - next to lake and town. Snow was the best they've had in a while so the skiing was great

The Kiwis are really nice, laid back folk. Except for that Scottish copper who did me for 75kph in a 60kph, no other traffic about. He had some sort of fiendish forward-looking radar on his car to catch oncoming traffic. Watch for that.

I know I had holiday goggles on, but it looked like a great place to live. Will definitely go back during their summer one day.

Enjoy!