PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ops Wannabe
Thread: Ops Wannabe
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2002, 03:06
Daifly

Got a 2:1 in Management Science, started in a Handling Agent (£17k), moved through the ranks and now am on the middle-ish rung of airline management (albeit now out of ops) and earning a lot more than your starting salary for Physics Grads. That in 5 years. . .. .I'm happy with that.. .. .Ops is a great job and a fantastic bedrock for any management career in the airlines - which should get you a little more respect than wondering straight in from a management scheme (a la BA). I'm still paying off my Uni debts now but I wouldn't change any of it. . .. .In Autumn last year we were recruiting for an Ops Assistant (trainee Ops Controller) and we interviewed an English Literature graduate (ELG). We were impressed with the way ELG handled the interview and offered the job, on the basis of about 6 months part time aviation work. We accepted that the training would be a long slog and perhaps not as quick as we would like, but we were feeling "fatherly" in giving someone their first step on the ladder.. .. .After offered £18k ELG turned it down, saying that the average starting salary that year was £23k. I'd love to know what ELG is doing now, cos my brother has the same degree, with buckets of motivation and keen etc. and has only now, 5 years on, topped £20k in publishing.. .. .I really couldn't believe that.. .. .I think that careers teachers/staff need a real injection of honesty. Just because the TV News says graduate salaries are now £Xk, does not mean that every single graduate will earn X. . .. .(To be really inciteful, I would say the same is true of Oxford (OATS) graduates...! If I read one more "Career Aim" statement copied from that one lecturer at Oxford, I'll retire!). .. .I think though, ops kid, you've got to decide whether you want an enjoyable career in aviation, or money in science!