PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is an ATPL given a university degree status
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 17:38
NinjaBill

Northern Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parabellum
"To pass, all you have to do is tick a few boxes on a multiple guess exam, its hardly comparable to writing a final year paper."
That may have been the case in your day Ninjabill but when I did my ATPL we had to write several essays in many subjects, especially Meteorology and also Nav Instruments and Radio Aids for example.
I showed the requirements for an ATPL to my sister, herself a graduate, (and in teaching) and she said that the theoretical knowledge requirement, as then laid down in a leaflet, would qualify for a minor degree, depending on the depth of examination. There are some subject that require a whole lot less personal interpretation and there is no room for developing arguments, counter arguments or theories, Geography, for one.
It sounds like your ATPL exams were a lot more difficult that the ones I sat a few months ago. I'm not sure who takes 6 months full time to pass, but I took 4 months per module (2 of) doing a couple of hours a night after work, (I work about 50hrs a week) and then 2 weeks of full time study at Bristol.