PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 14:33
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies (for I taught JG to fly her first Sqn Type) & Gentlemen,

Whilst I agree that certain elements of the Press appear to have drastically overstepped the mark in "guessing" which type of aircraft was involved; the delay in specifying the aircraft type will surely will be laid at the door of MOD by the Politicians to protect themselves. I suggest that at MOD there is the very reasonable fear that some of our aircraft are so antedeluvian that they may just fall apart.

I note that the 2nd Nimrod prototype (XV 147 fitted with Avon engines) made its first flight on my 21st Birthday. Tomorrow my Wife, who is younger than myself, qualifies for the UK State Pension. To put that into perspective regarding time; it is like trying to fight the Korean War with BE2C's and Maurice Farman Shorthorns!!

Which particular Party (whilst in Government) has consistantly ignored calls for equipment updates, refurbishment and replacement, on grounds of cost? Who has paid, and are still paying, the cost of that Policy? Regrettably, to be fair, the answer to the first question is BOTH major parties. We ALL know the answer to the second question.

Now, more than ever before since WW2, we NEEDa cross party consensus regarding Defence based on REQUIREMENTS not cost.

Rant over for today.