PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA pilot tested positive for alcohol in Oslo
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 13:24
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PF,
... why should an extensive traveller, who is not a pilot, be aware of blood/alcohol limitations ... anywhere?
I'd have thought it was useful to know whether you could have a beer or a glass of wine with your lunch wthout going over the legal limit for driving your hire car afterwards....

Anyway, 2dmoon and I just were trying to work out why the figures didn't line up, not the legal limit in Norway.

Legal limits for cars seem to vary widely, from 0 to 0.1% and everything in between. For aircraft I would expect them to be a lot less than the 0.08% or 0.05% which still seem to be prevalent in most countries.

Cosmo,
Strictly speaking I would have thought a "zero" limit would be unenforceable, because the body itself (digestion, etc.) produces very small quantities of alcohol. Men, women and children all have a natural blood alcohol level in the order of 0.003%, not "zero-zero".

Last edited by ChristiaanJ; 6th Sep 2006 at 12:49. Reason: Added figure for natural blood alcohol level.