PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 10:46
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all involved, the RAF aircrew, the RM and Army personnel, their colleagues, friends and families. May they Rest in Peace.

Reading the thread and feeling the same anger as expressed by others towards both the Media and the MOD, and whilst not wishing or attempting to hijack the thread for my own purposes, I feel I have to at last publicise my own experience with the MOD.

I am an ex-serviceman (12 yrs regular service) and in 2003 both my brother and sister-in-law were serving with the Royal Military Police in southern Iraq.

I recieved a telephone call from a somewhat anguished mother during the evening of the murder of the six RMP soldiers, which at that point I was unaware of, not having watched the news that day.

I was the nominated NOK so felt quite satisfied that my brother would not have been involved, however, needed confirmation, particularly for my mother's sake. I don't think I would have the same confidence in the MOD / BBC NOK and reporting chain these days.

I telephoned the MOD Assistance Help-Line and explained the circumstances. The person on the other end said he would check the details. He was gone for a considerable period of time and thinking this information WOULD be at the fingertips of every operator I became increasingly concerned at the delay. He eventually came back and in the most sombre of voices (akin to the visit from the funeral director) he said, "Mr X. I've checked the list and I have to inform you.......(A pause followed of probably no more than a second but what seemed like a lifetime and during which I went through the most gut wrenching turmoil I have ever experienced, without any fear of self contradiction).........that your brother is not on the list of casualties".

Following quick confirmation I went downstairs, feeling physically exhausted and sick, and the look on my face made my partner think the worst.

I telephoned my mother and used a little more tact than the MOD but was hastily reminded that in my somewhat stunned relief I had forgotten to ask about my sister-in-law and had to repeat the exercise, thankfully with a more understanding operator.

I would describe myself as quite pragmatic and not easily upset but this event had a significant effect on me - I still feel quite sick thinking about it now. What sort of effect would it have had on someone given to emotional fragility?

What sort of training do these people receive? Don't they understand what poeple must be going through when they telephone for this information?
Pregnant pauses for effect are really not appreciated and serve no purpose other than to put someone through mental hell, for however short a period.

2close