PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lido Web OC
Thread: Lido Web OC
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2002, 21:12
fcit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Diantonis,

Just wonderig what system the quote of Navtech was for, since to my knoweldge they offer a web based solution as well as a PC based solution like Jeppesen OnSight, Sabre Airpath, etc...

Well, if it is the PC based solution with your own server on site, than the pricing does not sound too bad. I have seen a presentation of this system a while ago and it did contain quite some gimicks that cannot be found with the cheaper systems.

Since I do not know the possibilities that RODOS is offering (though I would love to take a look at it), you always have to keep in mind the scope you are using the system for. Since I personally have been working with Jeppesen Service bureau, Onsight, Navtech FOMs and PPS during my career (with short glances on other systems), I can only judge from what I have seen.

Now, if I e.g. compare PPS to Jeppesen Service Bureau, than I have to admit that the flight plannig engine of PPS is lacking a little behind the one from Jepp. I am not just talking about the difficulties to determine a proper profile in PPS, but also the lack of doing RDP and DPP plans. Also, whoever has been looking at the Jeppesen aircraft database will have been amazed about the amount of twitches there are and according to Jepp their flight plans are exact to 50Lbs (and I am not talking about a LFPG-EGLL run here, but 14-15 hour re-dispatch flights). Also, if you are planning inter-continental you will certainly appreciate the existance of a filing address database and if you are taking care of a big amount of overflight allowances and do cross difficult countries a lot, than the route database is certainly a nice to have (though, I agree PPS offers the possibilities to store routes as well). Additionally you have the enroute charge calculator and a couple of other gimicks. FOMs for example was able to display WX and NOTAMs right when selecting the aerodrome, when doing the flight plan (a feature I always missed with Jepp).

Well, on the other hand if your traffic is mostly intra-European than you do not need a lot of those features. As I said, I do not know RODOS (which is SAS Support, right?), but I reckon they will not be able to offer the same features as the other systems for that price (I could be wrong).

The point I raised in my earlier message was that we do get a lot of Sales people of the flight planning systems on the board (which is good, because maybe they take note of some of the glitches their system and/or support have and fix it), but than it would be really nice to have an overview of the features and the pricing that goes with it (most of the times especially the later one appears to be a secret).

. .Cheers. .fcit