PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RedBull AirFarce
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 21:19
Capt Tutcrue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Pathetic traffic control

I live in Westbury, only 5 miles from the venue. Using local knowledge I got to within 2 miles of Longleat and then spent the next 2 hours waiting in traffic, no evidence of any RTAs just volume of traffic and 'Care in the community' running the traffic control.
Having finally got into the event it was impossible to move from the pit lane area across the (only)bridge to the spectator areas. Fortunately everything was delayed so not too much of a problem, but to take over 1 hour to cross a 10 meter bridge seemed a little excessive.
There is no doubt that access to and control of crowds at the event were the most abysmal I have ever seen at any aviation event in over 20 years.
I understand that the organisers had attempted to increase attendance levels twofold since last year, pity their greed spoilt what promised to be a great event.
No-one can cater for crap wx and the ensuing cancellation, that's life.
Pathetic traffic control and poor site organisation cannot be excused.
Had the event gone ahead and a mishap occurred I shudder at the likely consequences.
The concept is fantastic, the pricing very fair (full marks to the organisers for the promised refund), the location stunning but........totally unsuitable!

Oh yes they were still admitting late arrivals as we were leaving at 1630!!!??????

My sympathies to those who had a long drive before joining the queues, I will definitely not be pencilling in Air Race 2007 in my diary.