PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you know about SACTA???
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 20:50
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo
As for other units it depends to whom one talks.
Of course! Ask 600 ATCO's about what they want you get 620 answers. I missed the visit to EGKK to look at EFPS but from what my workmates tell me its a resounding thumbs up.
As for Heathrow, are you saying that we will only know if a piece of kit meets our requirement when it's installed and we're working it? Seriously?
No not quite. What I'm saying is that there is always resistance to change, thats perfectly natural and a part of the human condition. God only knows we had enough of that when AC moved from West Drayton to Swanwick but after 3 months no one wanted to move back! Funny that! What the project teams try (very hard) to do is ensure it meets the need but its impossible to ascertain whether the need is met, in the real world, until its working with real controllers in the real world.

You can simulate and build scenarios as much as you like but that never ever achieves meeting the real world goal because different people use the system in subtly different ways. Not to mention that is is absolutely impossible for any one person, or even a whole team of people, to envisage every possible scenario and every possible circumstance that will challenge every new system or working practice.
Those who should know, the ATCOs. And especially the ATCO EFPS instructors.
And that answer would come from someone who had just played with it for 30 minutes in a classroom, or even just by reading about its 'features'.
I assume you're only talking about EGLL? So if there is such a HUGE level of concern I would assume that these people are feeding this back into the project? They're the only ones who can make the project aware of these perceived difficulties and ensure they go on the risk register.

Strangely enough project teams do not want to impose or force down your throats systems which patently don't work for the operational staff (Apart from anything else the business just wouldn't accept it). However what they do have to do is work out the fine dividing line between what is everyday bellyaching and carping about the change engendered by a new system and the real, concrete and measurable concerns that its not going to work operationally.

BD

Last edited by BDiONU; 2nd Sep 2006 at 21:02.