PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting to work in a light aircraft or microlight
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 08:43
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the UK, if commuting between airports that have usable instrument approaches (in which I do not count for example Shoreham, whose 800ft MDH makes it no better than descending over the sea and dropping in under "VFR") and the pilot has an IMC Rating, and a decent plane, then commuting is entirely reasonable and very few flights (probably a few percent or less) would be cancelled. Most of those that would be cancelled would be in the winter, when the 0C level is below the MSA, but with a de-iced plane (full TKS is probably the best for "short" routes like one does in the UK) one could get around that one too.

The biggest problem in the example given is that Wellesbourne (I have never heard of the other one) has no instrument approach; well not one that is published and there is some 500ft+ terrain nearby, and in the course of a year I would cancel a helluva lot more than a few % of arrivals there. There are a few nearby ILS airports though but that introduces hassle...

That is the typical scenario in using GA for utility in the UK - not enough airfields with instrument approaches. The CAA's anti-GPS attitude, together with insistence for full ATC for an instrument approach (ATCO salaries are way too high for most airfields to go for this) is fully to blame here.