PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Everybody out!!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 21:36
GengisKhant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although not a strike...., I recall what amounted to be a mutiny/riot at RAF Khormaksar (Aden) around mid 1966..., problem was that although temp was +40C daily water was being rationed - only available for an hour in the morning and an hour in late evening. Trouble started when it was discovered that the swimming pool in the officers mess was being re-filled after maintenance, and that water would only be available once per day during the pool re-fill.

A group of off-duty RAF ORs decided that this was unacceptable, and decided to take matters into their own hands. A considerable amount of furniture and bedding was thrown from barrack blocks and set alight. RAF Police and Regt Fire Service turned out, backed by RAF airmen who were on internal guard duty at the time. Other troops (I believe Northumberland Fusiliers) were called in and held in reserve. RAF police and fire service were held at arms length by missiles being thrown by those remaining in the block. The fire was eventually put out after an hour or so, and a form of normality returned.... but attempt to round up the perpretators hampered by a mass exodus from the block, and individuals scattering in all directions.

I was transitting at the time, and did not hear what happened to the miscreants...., but understand that water was reconnected very shortly after the incident.

Can anyone advise as to what eventually happened?

Last edited by GengisKhant; 2nd Sep 2006 at 12:32.