PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desert Storm Wild Weasel tales?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 20:24
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Whilst waiting to conduct post-strike refuelling ina VC10K, we were holding on an AARA. Our levels were as assigned in the ATO....as were the levels assigned to the KC-135 above us. He was refuelling a couple of F4Gs as we got to the turn point underneath him.

Without warning, the ill-disciplined Weasel f*ckwits he had just finished refuelling left his formation in a descending turn. One went over the top of us, the other just underneath... The ar$eholes hadn't obeyed SOPs, just followed some sort of "Hey, Saddam, here we come - you betta watch out!" macho stupidity....

Roll the clock forward a few years to OPC. One day we're refuelling some FAF Miarge F1s, when an F-16 and an F-4 cross co-alt a mile ahead. Bloody weasels again, not sticking to the ACO. Their KC-135 had already complained about their antics during AAR; I got back to Incirlik to find the Base Commander furious and in a "I want some butt!" mood. We gave him a "STFU and listen" debrief; by the time we got to the O-Club for a few beers the Weasel team had their "Back Stateside, next available transport" orders.

I'm sure that the Weasels do some stressful stuff; however, all I ever saw personally was rank cowboyism. A shame that the idiot minority spoiled the reputation of the majority.