PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGT OVERLIMIT at T/O: continue flight?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 12:10
chornedsnorkack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A37575
I know some operators use a minimum of 400 ft above ground level as the first "action" altitude but surely this is an advisory altitude and like most things in aviation, not set in stone. The usual caveat is to ensure the aircraft is under control and then take a specific action because somewhere along the line 400 ft is where the altitude is considered "safe". But the only reason 400 ft is the generally accepted "safe" altitude is that it is the minimum altitude at which the second segment is commenced. It does not imply that anything below 400 ft is dangerous.
So if the EGT is giving a serious problem after rotation and you have not lost an engine and assuming the aircraft is under control (which it would be seeing as the engines are working), then I see no problem in easing back the thrust lever of the offending EGT to keep it within limits.
I mean, for goodness sake are you really going to happily watch an engine EGT going over red line after lift off and count the seconds until you get to the magic certification second segment figure of 400 ft agl and then and only then start to pull back the throttle and by delaying so long bugger the engine and cost your company Lots of $$$$$$ ?
It might be more than a question of dollars.

While there was some talk about the Pinnacle CRJ suffering a "core lock" below the certified safe altitude, there have also been suggestions that the pilots overheated the engine by trying to climb fast in thin air. Causing both engines to fail in quick succession... and there was no way those engines could be restarted. The pilots did not succeed in making a deadstick landing.

400 ft agl is probably too low for a safe deadstick landing...