PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Pioneers for sale in Australia
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 11:09
EGAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I accept that the Twin Pin is not the perfect type with which to advance my case since there is a flyer already in the UK (although the restoration movement has not previously stopped just because a single example of various other classic types has been brought back to flying condition).

The Bristol Freighter currently in Canada is indeed another case where donations, in cash or in kind will be needed, to get it home. I have seen a six-figure sum mentioned simply to fund its return passage, never mind doing anything afterwards with it. It certainly hasn't the WOW factor of a Vulcan - few types have - but its the sort of project that, IMHO, is at least as deserving of support which will now, I fear, be harder to come by.

Spectacular showpiece restorations are great but I really think the flying heritage movement must now think strategically about where it stops in terms of airframe modernity/complexity. Yes, in an ideal world we'd see one of everything kept flying when it leaves commercial/military service but in the real world the font of public largesse is only so deep.

I can only reiterate my hope that the money-pit which the Vulcan has become has not engendered what might elsewhere be described as "compasssion fatigue" - even among the keenest private and corporate supporters - and actually set back the whole heritage/restoration movement.