PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy birthday 146
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 10:20
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew the BAE 146 for a little while. I recall the odd sort of spinning ice detetor device.

I recall making a 3 engine ferry in my first few weeks on the plane.

I also recall that a normal landing felt like a grease job and a grease job landing was so smooth you really didn't know you were on the ground until the mechanism allowed reducing power to the ground range.

This air frame was built like a tank. The engines were marginal at first. putting electrics on half the engines and pneumatics on the other half, well what can I say? Hydraulically powered standby electric generator...what can I say?

I do think this plane has a place in modern flying. I think it is a better plane than the CRJ that crashed in Lexington ky.

Our airline routinely operated this type (bae146) into very short runway airports, using less than half of those short ( >4000) runways.

Slow inflight, slow landing and takeoff speeds make for safety. We lost one when a nut got into the cockpit and shot both pilots dead...some say the plane went supersonic prior to crash.

A plane to be respected, if not to get all hot and bothered about. Not my first jet, not my favorite, but it never rolled over with a rudder hardover!

jonhttp://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_clap.gif