PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boarding School Allowance under Review
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 09:48
PompeySailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kitbag
Read the columns carefully in Hansard, the climb is not steady, there is a single and distorting jump at Autumn 2001. Take that out and the variation across the 3 services in less than 1.5%, in fact according to the published figures the Army and RN have slightly fewer claimants at the end of the reporting period.

Reasons? Maybe our expeditionary ethos, it is again easier to reduce disruption to the childrens lives if they are with their friends at school rather thanseeing dad (or mum) disappearing again. Thats what mine have said to me anyway, of course they may just want to get rid of me
Be careful as the formatting of the table is wrong! The figures need to be nudged to the right.....

Total claims rise from 4,511 to 5,239 over the 3 year period, but yes, the Army (2,823 to 2,812) figures decrease by a couple, but the RN (753 to 925) and RAF (935 to 1,502) figures rise. It's still not a huge percentage of the total strength, in which case the Treasury are possibly looking at this as a huge saving that only affects a small amount of people. Of course, the "small amount of people" that the Treasury sees doesn't take into consideration that these people are likely to be teeth-personnel of a certain rank/rate. I assume they believe that it would be worth pissing these people off to save money (anyway, the planned changes and savings are not until 2020, and there will be transitional arrangements in place for those in receipt).

But still another chapter of our T&Cs being consigned to the archives.