PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRP5 Questions
Thread: CRP5 Questions
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 01:53
aerobatic sean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whizz wheel query - wind down?

Preparing for CPL ground school. Reading some good posts here recently on ATPL study and suggested prep by folks who have been there done that thing.
Points made included getting up to speed with the CRP5 wizz wheel and the importance of using the " wind down " method for all tr/hdg/wind calculations.
Why is this the best method as oposed to "wind up" - which I got taught?
I know the "wind down" method is stressed in several books - but I have never known why?
I will get on and relearn this new way!
Why the need to use only the Pooleys CRP5 wizz wheel - it is a lovely clear layout I agree - but I compared it side by side to my alloy American ASA B2 and my Aviat 617 - and could not see any reason why all 3 wizz wheels would not suffice.
Sounds like I am out to buck the system! I am certainly not and it would be foolish to ignore the experience of other students who have been before and indeed the advice of instructors.
I know its been covered recently - but any other suggestions of pre course prep welcomed. Like others I am worried about the demands of Maths and Physics and will get the Keynotes booklet, the OAT Maths/Physics cd roms ( PC only - bugger - OAT promised 2 years ago they would produce all their CD roms for mac computers )
London Met College also produce a pre ATPL course maths/ physics revision booklet. Any other books suggested ?
many thanks