PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGT OVERLIMIT at T/O: continue flight?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2006, 22:06
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT Exceedence

Gentlemen:

I've now had the opportunity to check the FCOM for the Airbus...last writing, I was without FCOMs.

For our CFM engines, the MAX EGT is 950 degrees. However, in the Abnormal/Emergency procedures section 3.02.70 P3, ENG 1(2) N1/N2/EGT OVERLIMIT, it says that you can go up thru 990 degrees as long as you reduce thrust lever BELOW LIMIT.

"Normal operation may be resumed and maintained until next landing. Report in maintenance log."

However, above 990 degrees, you're directed to shut down the engine.

"If conditions do not permit engine shut-down land ASAP using the minimum thrust required to sustain safe flight."

Now, again, it all depends on how much you went over the 950 limit...and for how long. I remember seeing the chart, but can't tell you specifics. But, in general terms, if you're over by just a few degrees for just a few seconds (e.g. 10 degrees for 15 seconds), it's very likely that no maintenance action is due. (Those figures I pulled out of the air...again, I can't remember specifics of the chart.)

Again, for pilots, any violation of a limitation is cause for concern. For the engineer, it may or may not be a concern.

Airbus recommends, especially in conditions where engines will run hot due to ambient conditions, to either not pressurize for takeoff or use the APU to run the packs. Further, they recommend under such conditions, that you use the maximum FLEX available (if and as conditions warrant). Usually, doing a 'packs-off' takeoff with a lot of FLEX temp added to the equation, you'll not exceed the max temp limitation on takeoff.

It is not "NORMAL" to exceed your max EGT during takeoff, but may be considered "understandable" if the engines are old and haven't been given the T.L.C. they needed from the maintenance department. Again, how little or how much you went over the temp limit and for how long determines what course of action is needed.

PantLoad