PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcoholism
Thread: Alcoholism
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2006, 20:21
rhovsquared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Entry you have a knack for asking me tough questions
This is not as easy as one might imagine, for an entity [as I'll call it now] such as alcholism, is difficult to define, but there are guidelines.

In order to correctly answer this I have to precisely define a few terms.

1. Signs-subjective complaints i.e Chest pain
2. Symptoms-objective complaints i.e bleeding.
3. Disease-an entity that causes subjective and objective interuption of normal physiology accompanied by an interuption in physical well being
4. Syndrome-a specific conglomerate of signs and symptoms that is itself a disease or several abnormal elements linked to a specific cause.

example: Horner's syndrome, symptoms are unilateral: ptosis [drooping eylid one one side], miosis [constricted pupils], anhidrosis [no sweat-litterally ].
is usually caused by a lung tumor [Pancoast's tumor] that stimulates the nervous system-this is the disease. the symptom is the Horners syndrome, that in itself comprises several symptoms

the reason I was so specific [although some of the above is more my opinion than a hard set fact, and there's plenty of debate on these issues] is that it lays a frame work for what I will have to say later.
I can't finish now 'cuz my bro's coming outta the shower soon
but I want my further comments to be understood [at least where my mind is at], so folks can see my perspective and understand what my definitions mean.

Rule Books Are Paper They Will Not Cushion A Sudden Meeting Of Stone And Metal: E. K. Gann
rhov