PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QR - are we losing ETOPS in A330?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2006, 19:35
popay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daidalos, well I don't know what QR wants or what it doesn't. Neither do I know what CAA has said to that issue. I think its a perfect time to refer to the relativity theory. Lets assume we loose ETOPS, whats then? Are you gonna feel better being 422 NM away from an adequate airdrome? That's your legal limit 60 min on A 330 maintaining Vmo/Mmo. Theoretically we shouldn't fly more than 100 NM away from an adequate airdrome if you don't believe at least one of the engines will restart, cause that's your distance in case you follow the dual flame out procedure unless the reason is fuel leak. In case of fuel leak you can extend the distance up to 150 NM to be conservative something like 3 deg. descent path on green dot.
How do feel now being 422 miles away from an adequate airdrome none ETOPS? Isn't it all a bit relative compared to being 90 min, if we are talking about probability of dual flame out and not regaining one of the the engines back. Its all based on the 95% probability my friend, exactly as your nav accuracy.
However, methinks its certainly a very unpleasant experience but hasn't got anything to do with being brave or not so.
Cheers.