PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool Security - Idiot Warning
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2006, 18:57
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pudnecker,

First of all, let me say that I totally sympathise with your situation. I totally agree with you that these rules are stupid.

I too had to go through security at Blackpool with my flight bag. They simply looked inside and decided it looked like normal pilot gear and let me go through. I was of course worried that they might have been more aggressive and decided my fuel strainer (with a screwdriver end) was a lethal weapon etc. Someday someone probably will decide that.

Blackpool insist on these security rules because they have passenger jets passing through. The are presumably scared of someone being allowed airside with something because they are on a private flight, and then passing it to someone boarding a commercial flight. This could be a terrorist, or simply a reporter looking for the latest sensationalist news story.

You will obviously say that of course someone could have landed, handed the banned item to someone boarding the commercial flight, without ever going landside. However Blackpool management would probably say that if the object came in from the air, there was nothing that they could do about it, but if it came through security, then they would be hung out to dry in public.

But your reaction helps no one. You might have felt that you got to vent your anger, but you may have made a bad thing worse.

You could have explained your problem, and asked security how best to handle it, and I'm sure they would have come up with some suggestion. (Always best to ask the person creating the problem for a suggestion in how to solve it....they can't disagree with their own suggestion, and failure to supply a suggestion makes them sound as if they are lacking in intelligence.)

But instead you kicked up a rumpus saying that you're the captain and you're entitled to carry what you deem safe.

Suppose that goes up the line, and management think....I feed up with these guys complaining. I suppose they have some point....they are entitled to decide what they carry, but how can we be sure that we won't get caught out in a security lapse because they hand something to someone boarding a commercial flight? I don't want my ass in the paper over that. How have other airports handled it? I know! Make them use a handling agent who will transfer them by minibus between the terminal and their aircraft. No possibility for them to transfer anything. No cost to us, as the pilots will pay the cost. We even get some rent from the handling agent, and don't have to bother about admin for their landing fees, because the handling agent will look after that. Wow, this is a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

I'm not saying that's going to happen, but if enough people cause a stink, then it may very well be a possible solution. Maybe next time try to find a better solution? Did you really need to bring stuff landside, only to bring it back airside again?

Like I said, I sympathise with your situation, and understand where you are coming from. But there may have been a better way of handling the situation. Something to think about at least.

dp