PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting to work in a light aircraft or microlight
Old 31st Aug 2006, 18:02
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I commute for work on a very regular basis averaging around 350hrs a year flying. I have a full JAA Instrument Rating and a de-iced twin aircraft which gives me access to the airways. I fly between IFR airports. I also have staff who collect me from the airfield on the way to site and a job that is not 9-5.

Flying from a grass strip to a grass strip is petty much a non starter for more than about 20 days a year. Commuting in a microlight or permit aircraft is also a non starter, for 6 months of the year there is not enough light to do a days work and fly home before dark. During the winter the freezing level is generally very low and we are cursed with the typical British weather where it can start of sunny in the morning and be pouring down with rain by lunch. This leaves you stuck on a grass strip with no transport and no accomodation.

It is nice to have the odd say where you can persuade a work mate to collect you and drop you off but the rest of the time unless you are suitably equipped forget it!

As they say time to spare go by air!!

Last edited by S-Works; 1st Sep 2006 at 08:20.