PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in florida
Thread: PPL in florida
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2006, 16:38
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL in Florida

Two things occurr to me having followed this thread:

Firstly, Florida being only twenty-something degrees North, has a sub-tropical climate with pronounced seasonal characteristics. The peninsula in the summer months is one huge weather machine with the water temperatures of the inland Everglades rivalling those of the Caribbean and Gulf Stream. Flying usually is possible before lunch but the afternoons are full of CuNim build-ups and it rains (violently) more often than not, (sometimes accompanied by tornadic activity) leaving steaming, humid and thoroughly unpleasant conditions for the rest of the afternoon.

The winter period (November to end of May) is delightful with temperatures very much more to the liking of those from cooler climes. This is the dry season and weather suitable for flying training is pretty well an everyday guarantee. However, this is the "high" season so there will be competition for accommodation from the bucket-and-spade gang as well as all the snowbirds from Canada, no doubt raising the general costs of things. But given the choice, winter is the time to go.

Secondly - and following from choices - I should point out that whilst I have many types in my books, there are only two from Clyde Cessna. I have over 600 hours on the 404 but have flown the 172 only once. This later occassion was quite recently and I have to say that I consider it the most boring and uninspired aircraft I have ever flown. I thought the MS880B was pretty dull but at least you could see out of the thing. The 172, being designed for American car drivers and therefore having had any personality or character designed out of it, will get you the PPL but it won't teach you to fly. Being able to see where you are and what others are doing in the circuit is well nigh impossible - at least the Auster had a window in the roof! I shall not climb into another one.

My suggestion is that if the flying school offers you the choice, take the other one/s.