PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Historical Property being allowed to waste away...
Old 31st Aug 2006, 07:57
L-H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen of the Naval Services, I seem to recall that the Royal Navy is still referred to as the 'Senior Service' not because of it's longevity in comparison to the other two fine fighting arms of Aunty Betty's finest, but because of the emergence of the east India Company and the creation of it's own navy (and Army) in the late 17 century.

Anyway it's all a load of hoop frankly people getting all hot under the collar over triv!

For my part, it's a virtual impossibility to maintain all the sights of significant and historical interest. A 'C' type hangar is a 'C' type hangar regardless of where it is, similarly so is a Romney, a Nissen Hut,......................! Further I cannot agree that Scampton should be regarded as special on the basis of a single bombing raid, although THAT is important. Lovely, lovely RAF Coltishall, my home for nearly 14 years on and off, also significant in that it was the last OPERATIONAL BoB station, clearly too has served it's purpose. I suppose my point is that we must move on and look to the future, but what should be done is records made, plans drawn up, photographs taken etc so that future generations can study these places in an historical context.

Finally, I live in East Anglironshire which is quite literally groaning at the seams in historical locations, for example down the road from me is Fersfield, Airfield is still there as an agricultural site, the accommodation huts quietly rotting at the site of the roads hidden in the undergrowth, then there is Watton, the domestic site has gone and is now a building site for a housing development, Old Buckenham, Thorpe Abbotts, Snetterton, Bodney (now Army) it's bleeddin' endless.