PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are only pilots captains
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2006, 07:37
Shadwell the old

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Are all pilots "he"

So wingtoosmall thinks all pilots are "he". Is this sexist? I never thought I would be the one to be PC. I only have experience (in the flying sense) of one lady pilot and she was fantastic.

To balance the comments of my last post, I have nothing but respect for all but one of the P1s that I have flown with. Hopefully they would feel the same way about flying with me. I cant think of an occasion when I interfered with their pilot or nav type decisions. When we had an emergency, clearly the appropriate people take the lead, be it the pilots, Eng navs or the R5, with the rest of us supporting them in any way possible. In over 1000 hours as captain, I probably only had to "interfere" once and that was to resolve a dispute. In my belief flying a multi crew aircraft is a team sport and just because whoever is captain does not give them a monopoly on knowledge. The prima donas (and I am sure we have all met a few) are probably the worst and least suited to captaincy. As aircrew we are all trained to do our respective jobs to a high standard and it is my belief that without a mix of skills required of a crew, the aircraft could not complete the mission successfully.

It was a dreary bank holiday Monday when I put this thread on the ether, and I did not expect to get more than a couple of responses. However, what do I know!

Oops here comes my nurse (not Kev) to dress me..........

Shadwell