PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair CRJ crash in Kentucky
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2006, 20:59
Globally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a 747-400 capt, I think there are way too many administrative requirements that can sometimes distract the operating crew from paying attention to what's going on outside the cockpit. While training new FOs during line ops, I've had to take all paperwork and the flight plan out of the hands of the FO during taxi-out sometimes and stored it on my own side compartment so the FO will focus on what's going on outside the cockpit. From writing down deadheading crewmember names, amendments to the release, block out fuel, etc.. and getting the "Off" message ready to send, the FOs are sometimes totally engrossed in the paperwork and not the operation. Time to put down the clipboard and pen, and look out the window and pay attention to what's going on. Let's get back to the fundamentals. The "Off" message can wait, so can writing down everything else, except perhaps the ATC clearance. And those places like Prestwick and Delhi, where we get the clearance while taxiing out for takeoff - I suggest those airports change the procedures and give us the clearance in the blocks prior to push.