PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are only pilots captains
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2006, 17:04
Shadwell the old

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
doubledolphins

If the incident really happened, IMHO the captain (back end) should not have been a captain and the P1 should not have been a P1.

There was an incident (not on my crew) where the P1 decided to do a beat up of Aberdeen at 0130 after a SAR sortie en route ISK, with a Flt Cdr guesting as second nav, and the other nav as captain. The captain was disciplined and the P1 moved to my crew. On the 1st sortie with me he carried out an unauthorised beat up in poor weather during an authorised PD without even telling the other 2 members of the flight deck crew what he was doing - none of us were impressed. He was then briefed by me, on ic, to return to ISK and land from the first suitable approach. I was hauled off him in the locker room before reporting him to the Sqn Cdr, wherupon he was made P2 to the pilot leader (a big fingered Yorkshireman who smoked a pipe!), who also wanted to dispense summary justice. The staish at the base "we" had just beaten up called the staish at ISK to report the cowboy and his dangerous crew. Fortunately my boss knew about the whole issue and was able to brief the staish on the action he had taken. If the system had been that only pilots had been captains, the "cowboy" would have been in overall command and could have done what he did without anyone to over rule him, probably resulting in the loss of an aircraft and crew. Funnily enough the P1 never made captain despite a tour away and being retreaded. However, he never transgressed again while he was on my crew.

Think he flys for a civvy airline now - hmmm!