PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What the hell are we supposed to do?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2006, 11:14
Miles High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the same old story and theres no end in sight

Guys let me tell you something. I last logged on to PPRuNe 2 years ago and exactly the same points were beng made, as they were 4 years before that.
I qualified (FrATPL) in 2000. I'm a good guy (well we all think that - my current captain and FO mates will back me up!!!).
But I'm a self financed normal bloke with a wife, kids and a mortgage. I've never even got an interview (CV and letters were fine presentation wise, honest). I've given up now as my only way of getting a job now is via a ryanair like scheme and how can a guy like me both pay for a TR and then work for free for 6 months. Not going to happen however much I'm motivated to do it.
For any newbies reading this by all means try to become a professional pilot, but be under no illussions, if you do not have rich parents and a dad/uncle (or mum!?) who is a senior management pilot - or preferably both, you face a very difficult/impossible task.
And another thing - NEVER believe the dross training schools tell you about pilot shortages in the future - they've always said that and they've always been wrong, including pre 2001, which contrary to what some people think did not make the job market dire - it already was.
Sorry but there it is.
Keep smiling!

Last edited by Miles High; 30th Aug 2006 at 11:16. Reason: typo