PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boarding School Allowance under Review
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2006, 09:42
PompeySailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99redballoons
My wife, children and I have lived together wherever I have been posted.
It is this element which places you firmly in the "exceptional" pot. Look at how many applicants do not move, instead choosing to leave the wife at home (where they generally have an additional career/family links), but retain the Education Allowances. The proposed policy changes will, I suspect, be directed at those who treat Boarding/Day Schools as MOD-funded creches. I know people who send their children to schools which are less than 10 miles from their home address, despite being in the catchment area for top-rated public sector schools. Why should they retain expensive allowances when they have no intention of being mobile? It is these people that are leeching the money away from those who genuinely make best use of it.

As for the super-garrisons....horrible thought. The MOD are looking at LSAP for all (the anticipated rise in amount was knocked back by the Treasury, but expect to see it up for proposal again), which encourages people to get away from military "towns" and into their own accommodation.