PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So who should pay for this error?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 22:24
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flingingwings
No written arrangement between FTO and student regarding insurance excess.
In that case I would hold the view that the organisation decided to save some money by under insuring against the loss.

They can not find the student responsible for the excess without finding the student responsible for the whole loss.

If the student accepts responsibility and the company is successful in recouping their loss, the insurance company could come after them and recover their loss as well!

To do that they will have to prove negligence on the part of the student. Having been certified as competent by the organisation to start, taxi, fly the aircraft and cope with relevant emergencies, the organisation has previously agreed that the student was competent (sent solo). The person responsible for the safety of the aircraft and those in it was not the student.

Had the student been injured then the student would have a good case against the organisation and the CAA/AAIB would have interesting questions as to how the absent aircraft commander expected to accomplish their responsibilities when not in or in the vicinity of the aircraft.

Mr.Instructor can you please explain how you as aircraft commander would initiate and supervise the evacuation of the aircraft in the event of a fire during engine start when you are no where near the aircraft that you are responsible for?

As for students doing the walkround. The check A must be completed by an engineer or competent licensed pilot. Thus I favour the instructor doing the A check and then later allowing suitable students to perform the pre-flight but always making a double check of fuel, oil and general airframe.

The system that works for me is;

1. Turn up early and do a good A check. Sign the tech log. Get student to complete their own check and see what they find.

2. After each flight check oil and fuel while student extracts themselves. Thus you already have the figures that the next student should find when they do the pre-flight.

3. As the student straps in, a quick visual check of latches, caps and general airframe and they can if far enough down the line do the pre-start checks while I strap in.

Regards,

DFC