PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are only pilots captains
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 12:42
chornedsnorkack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Always_broken_in_wilts
Building blocks duh
How is that a typical J reply
As it happens irrespective of type he is 100% correct, there maybe well be a multitude of mis guided kippers who "thought" they were A/C captains but at the end of the day the guy driving is ALWAYS in charge
all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced
Edited after sciatica's cartoon, as I am an ALM please explain to simple old me how you have "hooked" me
There is no rocket science involved in comprehending that whoever controls the control column is actually in control, I mean come on if a tea boy can grasp this simple concept surely you can

It is not obvious for sea "Captains".

On a ship, the man actually holding the steering wheel behind the rudder is just one out of many affecting where the ship goes. A lot is decided by what the men are doing with the sails, ropes and winches, or what the engine room team is achieving.

So, the person actually holding the steering wheel on the bridge is not even an officer. Actually holding the wheel and being helmsman is IIRC given to quartermasters.

A ship is navigated by someone who holds no controls, but who stands behind, watches the outcome of the work of helmsman, engine room and others, and gives orders. Which may be Captain, and a lot of time is Officer on Watch.

So. On a plane, who should hold controls, who should be a Captain? Could or should a plane be flown by two First Officers while the Captain occupies an observer seat?