PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Recruitment (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 12:28
seektofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brisbane Tomorrow!!!

Hi Ya People!!

Wow - how quickly is this week going?? Maybe I am keenly aware of it because I am online in 6 days!!!

Thankyou to everyone over the last 12 weeks for all your support (from the moment I found out about the interview until now) - you guys have been great - and I wish all of you out there who are hoping to join VB or any airline all the best of luck in the world. If you are on this site looking for information about interviews or who is recruiting... you really deserve the job - and I mean it. To all those people who missed out this year, don't worry - just re-apply next year and the year after that. NEVER GIVE UP! It has taken me a few years - but here I am starting on Monday.

To answer some of the questions. Colour vision is important to the job (for example, on the panel, if the blue light illuminates, a passenger is calling you. If a pink light illuminates that means either the captain or another crew member wants to contact you and if the yellow light is illuminated - someone is stuck in the loo calling for help! ) Other ways that the colour vision is important is when you are looking for stockings or hair ribbons !

Make up on collar is a real problem for most cabin crew, considering that Virgin Blue want you to pack on the makeup and yet have it look as natural as possible! I use Revlon Colour Stay, but because they don't make a colour that is close to my skin tone (it is either too light or too dark) I mix it in with a lighter shade of the colour stay. As long as you put it on in the morning (not wearing your uniform as you do so) and you let it dry and then dust over the top with loose translucent powder (and you only go just under the chin and not the whole neck and shoulders...) you should be ok. I can get away with washing my shirt after 2 wears.

Ok. Now I think I have answered everyone's questions... now for what you have all been waiting for....

Virgin Blue Training. Week 5, Day 2. August 29, 2006.
3 days to go (Yes, really )

Well, I have made it to the second day of the last week.. Today was an interesting day, as we ran around Melbourne Airport in the afternoon. They let us loose!

The day started with training for Guests with Special Needs. This included Elderly people, unaccompanied children, people in wheel chairs, people who have never flown before, people who have a fear of flying etc....
Then we had this lovely guy come in and give a talk to us about disabled people. About 10 years ago or so, this guy who gave us the talk ran into the back of a semi-trailer or 4 wheel drive or something to that effect and he was on a push bike. He damaged his lower spinal cord and now doesn't have the use of his legs. He was quite young too! So he was just telling us that we should talk to people with disabilities like they are NORMAL people and that usually they just can't move a part of their body or maybe it is that they can't see, or hear but we just have to talk to them like we would anyone else. It was a great session, and it just flew by.

After lunch we learnt the procedures for looking after unaccompanied minors (children who travel by themselves) and what we have to do with them. That was interesting and a bit sad at times to hear how some parents treat their kids. It was a real eye-opener. I felt sorry for some of the kids that they were telling us about.
Then they told us to meet at the airport for our airport challenge. This is the part where they let us loose for about half an hour looking for stuff and asking people questions. We were in groups of 3 and we had a sheet of tasks that we had to complete. It wasn't difficult but we were running around like headless chooks, as we weren't allowed to split from our groups. When we all met back at the meeting spot (after the challenge had finished) we got taken up to the departure gates and were taken onboard the new aircraft with the live to air tv in each seat back. It was really interesting and I can't wait until all the planes are decked out in this great high -tech gear! It will keep the passengers much happier on those longer flights to Perth.

Talking about longer flights, tomorrow (in a about 5 hours time) I will be getting up to go on a flight to Brisbane. We get to go to Brisbane tomorrow as part of training for 6 or so hours. We have sessions up in Brisbane. I am really excited but I will probably sleep on the plane, because I won't be getting any sleep tonight - too excited!!!

Anyway, on that note, I wish you all a good night. I will post as per usual tomorrow night (Wednesday night) after Brisbane, to let you all know what is going on. Thursday is our last full day of training at the training centre, and on Friday, it is only half a day. And that's it.... God help me.

Keep you posted.
Take care until then,

STF