PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 2
Thread: Aer Lingus - 2
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 10:33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Roy
Aer Lingus should never forget or neglect its European routes either, that would simply be disastrous Cork (of course) has potential routes screaming out left right and centre: Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Milan, Glasgow, Venice, Palma, New York, and Brussels (of course).
There is still plenty of scope for short-haul expansion.

From Dublin an expansion of Scandinavian services - Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki. When they are added to the EU, services to Romania and Bulgaria. There's even potential in services to places like Istanbul or Moscow. And potentially more holiday routes - Palermo, Somewhere in Greece.

From Cork more UK routes - Glasgow, Manchester. More sun routes - Palma, Almeria, Valencia. Baltic Destinations - Riga. Frequency increases on existing routes. I'm not sure I agree on all your routes. I feel the A320 is too large an aircraft for Cork-Germany. Also, Dusseldorf (Amsterdam) and Brussels (Amsterdam & Paris) could have a negative impact on existing yields.

The most interesting question for short-haul though is how they handle a situation where they try to turn Dublin into a transatlantic hub. They'll need to up the frequency to double-daily on a number of routes (particularly UK) and need to consider night-stopping as well. This could require a rethink of existing routes in terms of how it could fit into an overall strategy, rather than how many passengers can be shifted point-to-point.

Interesting times ahead.