PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC 1 - Red Arrows
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 09:23
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although not a great fan of the 'Reds' - I used to be in awe of their flying skills and although I would still acknowledge their awesome ability, I think there are fresher, more dynamic displays out there nowadays - the Reds are getting a bit stale. I thought the programme was a good PR for both the Reds and the RAF.

What disappointed me was the last 15 minutes when it descended into a bit of a boys club outing. Yes they have to work together for 3 years and hence get on, but what about 'ordinary' squadron pilots who have to put up with lack of equipment/hours/comfort when risking their lives in theatre?

I appreciate that it was a programme about the Reds, but everything said about cameradrerie and skills etc etc is, in my book, more than surpassed by the Pilots/Observers/Navs and Crewies doing a 'real' tour, as well as the ground grunts.

Felt certain that Kermit was going to get in - his comment about re-applying next year was very honest in my opinion - he is getting married (probably is by now); if he got in on that attempt, it would be something that him and his wife would have to factor in, but it would be a known quantity. Next year, as he would not have that commitment at the time, he might change his priorities because he could.

Many service people put their lives on hold for the job that they are doing at that point in time - they cannot be expected to do so (more so their dependants cannot), for a possible job in the future. What would the interview board rather have - the truth or a lie??

These pilots are first and foremost Officers in the Armed Forces, then pilots, then if lucky and deemed good enough 'Reds'. Maybe the boss of Reds has forgotten that he is first and foremost a servant of the Crown?

Overall a good programme.

Last edited by anotherthing; 29th Aug 2006 at 09:26. Reason: spelling