PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Immigration Strike
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 07:05
GULF69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
immigration

I totally agree that this strike will definitely cause huge disruptions at the country's ports of entry, however, working closely with immigration officials (and the guys on the floor) I can totally understand why they are striking, and although the strike will even cause problems for myself, I am actually glad they are finally doing something about their situation.

Now before I get shot for saying that let me explain myself...
Having worked closely with immigration for the past say 10 years, I have a fairly good idea of what's going on, and where the shortfalls are. Clearly the Dept of home affairs is to blame. Most of the airports are understaffed with immigration officers, and due to this the ones that are working are often working very long hours, with no overtime! What's worse is that temporary immigration officers are brought in (who often don’t pitch for work), earning approx. R6000 per month! That is far more than the permanent officers get. They work for a few months then they are moved to another location. Can you imagine being a permanent immigration official, working 18 hour shifts, without any overtime, for a very low salary, dealing with grumpy passengers coming of long haul flights all day, and seeing these "temps" come in earning 6g's a month? I'd also be upset! Furthermore countless requests have gone to Home Affairs (specifically referring to CPT) for more staff members, but to no avail. CPT is supposed to have approx 60 immigration officials. I think they have around 20 at the moment!

They have some valid gripes, but the strike could have been avoided if Home Affairs listened to their problems long ago, and not just let their comments fall on deaf ears.

My 2c worth.