PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Lines
Thread: Long Lines
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2006, 00:51
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Very good, 170', if you don't mind I'll add your three-part to my notes.

Couple of other things I've noticed, lowering the collective slightly seems to put the load out in front of you, raising it puts it behind. You can put it out front a bit coming in, then fly over top of it as it stops - dang, this isn't as easy to write about as I thought. Makes sense once you've experienced it, but anyone who hasn't tried it probably has no idea what I'm talking about.

Before I lift off I have the line all laid out with the hook beside the pilot's skid. Reminds me that I have a line on (saves the embarassment or the swim as the case may be), also makes it easy to pick the line up without dragging it, and makes sure there are no kinks in it. Landing same thing - put the hook on the ground beside where you want the pilot window, that way you know before you get down that the tail-rotor will be in the clear. Nice to watch the really practiced guys coil it up.

I use the shadow of the hook on the ground to help judge the height, good in Canada when the sun shines, maybe not so much on the Equator at noon. Also if you are trying to put the hook into someone's hand on a sideslope you can look at the tilt of the ground ape's hardhat to see if he is looking up at the hook or down.

I practiced out in the bush with a 100' and an old truck tire where I could be humbled in privacy.