PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair CRJ crash in Kentucky
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2006, 16:27
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xeque
A final thought. If (as has been suggested but not confirmed) they were cleared to depart from the intersection then wouldn't a fully lit runway 22 have been visible to both pilots at their 10 o'clock?
…. I’m on the other side of the Pacific …. Never been to Kentucky …. But I have spent some years in regional towers ….. another coupla’ questions for those with familiarity …. Is 22 lit with ‘directional’ runway edge lighting?? …. The ones we have are not ‘clearly’ visible if viewing from a side angle (light beam obviously concentrated in the approach direction)! …. another question ….. someone early on mentioned taxiway works and resurfacing …. were the taxiways between the 26 threshold and the 22 threshold re-marked and/or closed?? …..
Huck
MSNBC is reporting that the short runway was lit by runway edge lights, though it usually was not (new installation?).
….was this why the crossing 26 was lit (for taxiing purposes) ….had 26 been lit for another aircraft movement ……. would the edge lighting of 26 been the most visually prominent to the CRJ crew? ….. could they have seen the side glow from directional’s on 22(if that’s what they are) in early morning conditions …..
captjns
If the tower was manned, and I beleive it were... what were they during this time????
…. could be any number of things ….. based on the information provided on this thread (so it might be completely wrong) ..
…. the picture I have …. the jet taxiing as expected … turns left onto 26 (might have already been cleared for take-off 22) ….. how long (from a glance at an aircraft at taxiing speed) …. would you have to look away for (co-ord or any number of other tasks) to not readily see the subsequent and unexpected continued acceleration during a Take-off attempt???? …. I have no idea how the tower is physically situated and what the tower controller might see ??? …… these are just questions in my mind … few if any of these musing might be reasonable or relevant!!!
…. Holes in the ‘swiss cheese’ either way I guess …… … a terrible tragedy
… my thoughts are with the ATC/S, the FO …. and those left behind …