PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town Runway closed again - the debacle continues
Old 28th Aug 2006, 12:15
FUG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a very interesting article in the Sunday Times about 2 weeks ago in which the CEO Monhla Hlahla was their featured personality. One part of the article was particularly entertaining to me :
“There are many, many monopolies in the world and even in our country, but they remain inefficient and do not get such results.”
When I look unsuitably convinced, she adds: “Our economy is so small that many of our big companies behave like monopolies. It would be nice to see monopolies being able to generate value that they put back in the development of infrastructure.”
Small, likeable and at 42 relatively young, Hlahla, who seemed so innocent and vulnerable when I last spoke to her three years ago, has mastered the executive art of sounding injured while defending her record. “That is why they designed us to be a monopoly — so that we focus solely on investing back in the infrastructure. We are a monopoly, but a monopoly that is able to give value back to the public,” she says.
I struggle to see how they are giving value to the public.
Read the whole article here
http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/Article...spx?ID=2190479