PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA Employment Conference 2nd Sept
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2006, 08:10
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dartagnan
that's right, 55 pounds is scandalous.
I have already given up my membership with Balpa.
Airlines do not like Unions. Better to stay away from them...Balpa is for BA captains or rich kids having a dad at BA.
If an airline discovers you are part of an union , your CV go straight to the bin...
What a load of tripe!

Guys, you can complain about BALPA all you like - and I agree their charges for the Employment Seminar are excessive - but BALPA is not really for Wannabes. It is essentially for people already in the industry, and its primary task is protecting and improving their terms of employment - which it does very well. While it makes a few noises about helping Wannabes, there is no real effort in that direction, and its job-advice provision is really directed at people who already have some experience. That said, BALPA is trying to improve its offerings for people at your end of the industry.

However, I am not a BA Captain, nor am I a rich kid who has a Dad at BA. My airline (and most others in UK) is not at all anti-Union, and nearly all of us were in BALPA before we joined. Do not listen to dartagnan. On this, as on so much else, he is talking out of his rear end.

Scroggs