PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair CRJ crash in Kentucky
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2006, 01:06
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Captjns: I don't know about when other pilots double check their heading bugs, other than during a busy check of their HSI and VOT test etc, or whether this is clarified on a checklist, if at all. My company's checklists have never included questions or responses about heading bugs-they are assumed from the proper preflight or taxi checklist: "Instruments? [i.e.] 178*, Normal". This assumes that the correct VOR and outbound radial(s) are set, ADI looks good and gyros (HSI/RMI) match, no flags. In our old c0ckpits, I use the course knob to indicate the initial turn with the hdg bug to runway heading, in case of an engine failure etc. But at very special airports such as Wash. National etc you must quickly turn to 328* or whichever, even WITH an engine failure.

For the benefit of the laymen Ppruners who are not pilots, the First Officer is quite busy (much more than the Captain) on the ground in a two-person c0ckpit, often more than in the air. And, as so often happens, a crew (going to a hub airport) begins to taxi and tower suddenly says "..eh.. FrozenDuck 292, can you make a wheels up time in five minutes"?. You are often already waiting for the ACARS screen to display your weight & balance data, which is required (unless transmitted via company radio for back-up) to begin your "Taxi", "All Engines" and "Before Takeoff" checklists, provided that there is not a problem with a passenger or objects in the cabin, or questions about the wind, visibility or braking action.

Extra abnormal procedures for deferred maint. items (MELs) are no help.This does not even begin to describe the cumulative effects of fatigue on a 4- or 5-day trip or an all-night (known as "illegal" or "stand up") duty period which sometimes allows you to have about 4 hours of sleep. The FO on an old, 2-pilot plane has the busiest job of all pilot jobs at the company, not just in a long duty period with 5-7 legs to fly and no time provided to eat. And this workload comparison includes the A-330 and 747.

The most serious danger to all of us on the ground, at many airports, is a mistaken 'runway incursion'/crossing. The accidental takeoff or landing on the wrong runway, which can easily look identical in the dark, especially if close to and parallel with the planned runway, now has the publics' attention (only for the duration of their 3-minute attention span ). Tower controllers often leave all runway and approach lights illuminated-even when your plane is the only aircraft with engines (and beacons) running within 20 miles . They must be too busy with other things such as coordinating with Indy/Atl. Center etc.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 28th Aug 2006 at 04:25.