PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Down
Thread: Aircraft Down
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2006, 23:13
Diatryma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From SMH

Father and son die in glider accident

A FATHER and his young son have been killed after their glider crashed and burnt near Camden.
The two-seater motorised glider, with a 25-metre wing span, was flying from Camden to Bankstown yesterday afternoon, when it crashed in the middle of a paddock about one kilometre from Camden Valley Way.
The aircraft was burnt so badly there was little wreckage left.
A fellow member of Southern Cross Gliding Club, who did not want to be named, said the victims were father and son. He said the man was very experienced and was flying a private glider.
"I was having lunch in Camden when I heard the sirens," the man said. "We didn't realise. It's very tragic; I'm just in shock. We were just friends from the club.
"Gliding is actually a very safe sport. That's why it's a tragedy."
The aircraft, built in 1999, was understood to be registered to an investor, Neil Cocks, the owner of a company called Multihaven.
Gliders usually have no engine and are towed into the air by another aircraft. However, this one had a motor.
A police spokesman said: "Emergency services attended and located bodies of two people, an adult male and a child."
He said police would prepare a report for the coroner.
Two fire engines and at least four police cars attended.
The glider is understood to have crashed near St Gregory's College and a golf club.
An ambulance spokesman said the child was thought to be six or seven years old.
He said an ambulance raced to the scene as soon as the emergency call came in at 3.55pm. But when the ambulance officers reached the scene, they found both occupants were dead.

Di