PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Broadband connection speeds - Wireless v Hard wired
Old 27th Aug 2006, 19:13
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
Keef - Hi. Vastly rurual and the router is probably outside 'warchalking' range 512 is 'the best' I am offered, at 4.85k from the exchange. Interesting that you too see a drop in speed on WiFi. Are you saying you can run a hard-wired AND WiFi on the same phone line at the same time or are you swapping connections per machine?
Understood.

I have an "all-in-one" wireless modem router in Essex, with three computers (current, old "Linux experiment" and very old "file backer-upper" connected via cables. The laptop connects via wireless.

Up here in Norfolk, it's three separate boxes doing the same job. Normally, the laptop connects to a docking station, hard-wired to the router. To test it, I plugged in the wireless card and unplugged the Cat5 cable.

I don't know why it would be slower via wireless (when wireless is over 50MB/s) - some day I'll play with WEP and MTU settings and see if any of that makes a difference.

If you're very rural, I'd try with WEP turned off - but as advised above, change the password on the hardware first, just in case!