PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA IR Courses (including Converting FAA IR to JAA IR (Merged)
Old 27th Aug 2006, 11:08
Curtis E Carr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpamayo
Hi there,
would be interested to know if someone has experience/ Knowledge about the option to do a fixed wing IR* first to save costs on the helicopter IR. heard you only have to do 10 h IR training on helicopter on top? And if - can you also combine those 10 h IR with a ME TR?
*Given that you are also already fixed wing pilot with more than 100h pic (requirement for IR on fixed wing)
The training for the issue of the type rating and that for the IR are completely separate issues and cannot be combined. In other words, you will do 8 hrs plust test for the TR (assuming this is your first ME type) and 10 hrs plus test for the IR.
I did the IR(A) first before the IR(H) but this was pre-JAR. It may or may not be cheaper going down that route but I would suggest that you talk to schools who have FTDs as these can bring the cost down considerably. This may render the IR(A) to IR(H) route more expensive in the long run.