PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot-drain - The new aviation crisis
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2006, 04:58
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron & Edna Johns

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with it. I was just pointing out what the article was really about. It isn’t about pilot shortages. It is about getting pilot training included in the HECS scheme.

For the record though I believe it is probably in all our interest to keep the supply of pilots as tight as possible. The last thing we want is an even greater oversupply of unemployed pilots to put even greater pressure on our already pressured T&C. People should think long term at the ramifications of supply and demand on our career and not be so short sighted at the possible instant gratification we could get if flight training for a CPL was included in the HECS scheme. Until new CPL’s are limited each year by CASA (which will never happen), the high cost of training is the only thing that will keep them in check as well as the fact there are many other professions that pay considerably more than being a pilot. And yes I do think there are way too many flying schools competing for too little business. Something needs to give here as well.