PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - just retired from the rat race
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2006, 19:05
Nick 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no more nite flights
Hi all,just retired after 35yrs flying,from Viscounts to B747,and all inbetween.
What a change in the status/treatment of professional pilots in this time.Used to be a respected job and employers treated you as a true professional....sadly not any more.Pilots are treated as hired hands,by employers and airline agencies alike,with worthless contracts and abyssmal t& conditions,more appropriate for a labourer.
Budget airlines have excaserbated this trend,with ludicrous turn around times and fatiguing rosters,only concerned with productivity and maximum legal(???) hours.
I will miss my flying colleagues,who still have to accept these apalling conditions.They are true professionals,led by incompetent management.Pilots in charge of multi million pound aircraft and several hundred lives deserve a far better deal,and I just hope somene will realise what a fantastic job these guys/gals do,and get the recognition and rewards they deserve,without having to threaten industrial action.

Good luck and happy landings.......
I'is because of people like you , that i decided to be a pilot when i was young.
And even if you stop your professional flying carrer , i'am sure that your teachements and your joy for the job will' alwys be in all the people that have been flying with a gentleman like you.
"we cannot direct the wind , but we can fix the route"
Regards.