PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 25th Aug 2006, 17:17
Desperate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was never a suggestion that Anne Murphy was 'turned' into trying to blow up the El Al flight out of LHR, as some fantasists on this site would love to believe. She was a pregnant, naive Irish woman who was duped by her terrorist boyfriend Nizar Hindawi. As has already been stated, she was caught by excellent profiling. And that was in 1986.

There is no reason why professional pilots are any more likely to be 'turned' (or to suddenly get a taste for a quick 'jihad' on the LHR-AMS) that the airport Police, security staff or caterers. Given the ethnic make up of the latter two groups at LHR, I'm not so sure actually. Forget about family hostage taking - it's Hollywood stuff plus the occasional organised criminal bank robbery. Focus on the ideology and those likely to sympathise/empathise with it.

It's clear that many of the posters on Pprune haven't a clue about what really happens airside, once a crew gets through security. Don't forget that the cabin crew who've just been relieved of their lipsticks are now responsible for a security search of the entire cabin, while my external walk-round is as much a security matter as a 'what's fallen off' examination.

My signature on the final security form should clearly count for something. If it means that I'm satisfied the aircraft is safe for the 200 pax to board, please allow me to decide if my toothpaste and deodorant are also safe.