PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2006, 13:00
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you now want all of the wannabees to revolt and this will change T&C's then huh? Well I don't think so somehow.

Lets go back a few years....Now when BA and Aer Lingus (amongst others) canned their sponsorship schemes I don't seem to recall all the existing pilots being up in arms and threatening to walk out at the very cheek of management taking away something that many of them had the benefit of. And when airlines started to charge for type ratings did the pilots go out in strike saying come on fairs fair we didn't pay for ours? Then when outfits like Mytravel started taking on guys for the summer who had paid for a type rating and worked for free did the long serving pilots say hey what is going on here this ain't right? The answer as we all know is that BALPA/IALPA and the pilots did nought other than say I am alright jack.

So quite why existing pilots expect some poor wannabee who is in hock to up to £100k to suddenly get on their high horse and refuse an opportunity is beyond me. Maybe if the existing pilot workforce did more to protect their T&C's and stuck together rather than appearing to be so militant but doing nought then all of us would have a much rosier future to look forward to in aviation.