PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Airline's view on ex Africa pilots?
Old 25th Aug 2006, 10:39
KESHO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I.R PIRATE - If you compare two chaps that have gone different routes in their flying careers, I agree that the guy who went the contract route will be a better pilot in handling the aircraft up a certain point only. He is thrown into a deeper end and discretion and decision making will force the contract pilot to mature faster. In my view a F/O with 500 hrs in the bush might be able to control an aircraft slightly better than an F/O with 500 hrs in the charter market on the equivalent a/c. But now I do not think the same would apply if they both had 3000hrs on type. They will be both professional pilots and just as capable on that aircraft type.

The contract market is only good for some hour building and then one must seek employment elsewhere. I understand it is very hard to move onto more fancy aircraft, but one has to try as there is only so much one can learn on contract and it is not the best set up to have a personal life. If you spent a couple of years on contract most of the spots will have been covered and hence the flying is quite straight forward really. It gets more tricky when planes get bigger and systems more complex and fuel becomes more critical...but majority of the contract flying is done in King Airs, 1900s, Vans, Twotters, Lets....and all those aircraft really fly themselves.

If a contract pilot really thinks that they are better than the other types of pilots out there, he or she has clearly spent too much time in the bush!